Tallinn city tour
Tallinn Old Town, with its long city wall, cobblestone narrow streets,church spires and medieval houses, is a fabulous place to visit.Since 1997 ,the Old Town of Tallinn has been on UNESCO's World Heritage list.The Upper Town - Toompea (Cathedral Hill) is the oldest part of Tallinn. It's home to the impressive Alexander Nevsky Russian Orthodox Church built in 1900, Toompea Castle, one of Estonia's most treasured landmarks ,built by Danes and Germans in the early 1200, now - the seat of Estonia's parliament, the nation's oldest church - Toomkirik (Dome Church), founded in 1233, a burial site of German and Swedish noblemen. The Upper Town viewing points offer excellent bird's eye views of the Lower Town. The highlight of the Lower Town - Town Hall Square, a gathering place for traders for more than 800 years.The Gothic Town Hall in the centre of the square (early 13th century,reconstructed in the early 15th century), is the only intact Gothic town hall in Northern Europe and one of the most famous symbols of the city.In the square - the old pharmacy, opened in 1422 and still functioning, the 15th century Great Guild and Blackheads Fraternity Houses.
Another greatest attraction of Tallinn is Kadriorg ,the central park and the Palace, built immediately after the Russian czar Peter the Great's first visit to Tallinn in 1718. The triumphal decoration of the ceiling in the Great Hall celebrates his defeat of the Swedes in the Northern War.A fire destroyed much of the interior in 1750 and it was never used by the Russian Royal family. In 1930 Kadriorg Palace became the official residence of the Estonian President . Now it houses the Foreign Art Museum, the collection being mainly Flemish and Baltic German.
The Open Air Museum Rocca al Mare
The name of this Open Air Ethographic Museum means in Italian 'cliff beside the sea' and was given by the original owner of the estate in 1863. The Musem presents a unique collection of old Estonian buildings on a large seaside territory .After 15 minutes drive from city centre, then through a beautiful forest area on the seacoast, you will see the authentic examples of the 18-19th century rural architecture like farm houses, country pubs, windmills, chapels etc. All are displayed together with corresponding furniture and household appliances.Folk holidays are celebrated in traditional style at the museum and often folk dance and music can be enjoyed here.
The museum was founded in 1957 and first opened to the public in 1964. Now it consists of around 70 buildings showing all aspects of Estonian rural architecture,with houses of both rich and poor.Most date from the 19th century but one of the chapels was built in 1699. The whole Estonia is represented here - windmills from the island of Saaremaa, fishermen cottages from Lake Peipsi ,etc. The interiors have all been appropriately furnished with kitchen utensils,weaving looms and chests of drawers. The territory of the museum is divided into 4 parts of corresponding village types : Western Estonia,Northern Estonia,Southern Estonia and the islands. The museum will give you a complete picture of the Estonian village and its atmosphere.
The National Park Lahemaa
The National Park is located at approximately one hour's drive from Tallinn. It covers intact landscapes of different types - coastal lowlands, pine forests, limestone cliffs, stone fields, waterfalls and rapids. There are also several well restored manor houses which allow to get a superb outline of the Estonian 18-19th century manorial architecture. In contrast to it, fishermen mode of life which can be observed in a small fishing village. In the Palmse and Sagadi manor houses you can see interior details, furniture and art of the corresponding historic period.